Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Writing Standard 6-12

English Standard:

3. Write narratives to develop real or imagined experiences or events using effective technique, well-chosen details, and well-structured event sequences.
c. Use a variety of techniques to sequence events so that they build on one another to create a coherent whole and build toward a particular tone and outcome (e.g., a sense of mystery, suspense, growth, or resolution).



Reflection Paper

Starting high school, I was a shy individual who was very dependent among those around me, especially of those who were particularly close to me. I was fearful of joining anything let alone getting involved with any clubs or activities. Hence, I primarily focused on my academics. Although my freshman year I was quite literally not involved with any extracurricular activities, except Upward Bound, it was my absolutely best year. I remember acting out Act 3 of Romeo and Juliet with my group of friends at the last minute. I remember us trying so hard to make each scene perfect that we showed up late to our academic awards night. My freshman year was just all fun and games. I remember being super loud and talkative in mostly all of my classes. If one were to see me they would have not guessed that I was shy, but I was shy in the sense of performing independently.

When my sophomore year came around, I decided that I wanted to be something more than just a good student in academic terms. I considered trying out a sport: volleyball. Everyone had always told me I was athletic. I was the fastest girl in Middle school but my hopes altered that year. Through most of the season, I did not get to play that much and I always found myself sitting on the bench. I was so discouraged. I remember I could not get any of my best friends to join with me so I convinced my sister to do so. We were together the whole season, she was always my partner in practice, and we always sat together in the vans. My second year of high school, I was not as immature as my first year, but I was still not completely mature enough.

Junior year was entirely different. It was the year when I realized that I needed to once again focus on my academics. Although I continued to play volleyball, my priority in academics did not change. I decided to go beyond my goals of obtaining straight A’s and decided to take AP classes. I remember always stressing about homework and spending too much time on single assignments. I overthought everything and obsessed on making everything sound perfect. It was also the year when I realized how annoying freshman are or when I realized that I had matured.

My senior year went by in a heart beat. Stressing over college applications and deadlines, trying to get involved with everything, and trying to make as many memories before I got out of high school is what my senior year consisted of. But out of everything I did my senior year, the one thing that stood out to me was my softball experience. I will never forget that season. It was one of the best seasons of my life even though I was terrible at softball. I’ve learned what it means to be on a team, the competitiveness, leadership, union, respect, and most importantly discipline. It has taught me that there is no greater difficulty than one cannot overcome.

I look back at my high school years and realize that I have learned and grown so much. Through Laton High School, I have learned patience, discipline, commitment, dedication, and determination. Four most significant pieces of learning that have prepped me for life after Laton High School are that I’ve learned the hard way of how procrastination can cause disorder, I’ve learned to stick with my decisions even when the odds are not in my favor, and to pursue any interests that I have because you never know what you could have become. But most importantly I have grown into an independent individual. I have built character, internal strength, and spirituality. Over the course of these four years, I have found myself, who i am, the interests I have now, and the things that I would like to do in my life in my future. Throughout these four years, my sister has had the most impact on me. With depending on her way too much to encouraging me and serving as a role model.

No comments:

Post a Comment